A company has been fined as a result of a number of failures which led to an employee sustaining serious injuries when they fell four metres to the floor from a bungalow roof.
The 60 year old who did not want to be named, fractured his skull and broke several ribs.
The court heard today that the company specialised within the manufacturing and repairing of electrical testing equipment but its managing director also owns several properties.
The employee was asked to repair a broken ridge tile on the roof of a bungalow. He used a ladder to reach the flat roof on a conservatory at the back of the property.
The worker then pulled the ladder up onto the conservatory roof and used it to reach the tile at the top of the bungalow roof. He fell around four meters and was found on the ground by the tenant, who called for an ambulance.
The employee was in the high dependency unit at the hospital for a week before being transferred to a normal ward, and was off work for 19 weeks as a result of his injuries.
The HSE investigation found the work on the roof had not been planned or supervised and the worker had not been given suitable equipment, such as scaffolding or a harness which resulted in the roof fall.
The company also failed to report the incident to HSE despite this being a legal requirement when workers suffer a serious injury.
The firm were fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £961 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to single breaches of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.
Speaking after the hearing was the HSE inspector Jackie Western:
‘One of the companies employees has suffered serious injuries that may affect him for the rest of his life because of his employer clearly ignoring its legal duty to make sure he had stayed safe during the work he was doing’
‘Falls from height are the most common cause of deaths and serious injuries in the construction industry. The work to repair the ridge tile should have been planned properly but instead the employee was allowed to climb up to the roof without suitable equipment’