Summary for 2014/15
The information in this document relates to the latest ‘full-year’ statistics on fatal injuries in the workplace, for 2014/15.
- The provisional figure for the number of workers fatally injured in 2014/15 is 142, and corresponds to a rate of fatal injury of 0.46 deaths per 100,000 workers.
- The figure of 142 worker deaths in 2014/15 is 9% lower than the average for the past five years (156). The latest rate of fatal injury of 0.46 compares to the five-year average rate of 0.53.
- The finalised figure for 2013/14 is 136 worker fatalities, and corresponds to a rate of 0.45 deaths per 100,000 workers.
- Over the latest 20-year time period there has been a downward trend in the rate of fatal injury, although more recently (since 2008/09) the trend is less clear.
- There were 102 members of the public fatally injured in accidents connected to work in 2014/15 (excluding railways-related incidents).
Figure 1: Number and rate of fatal injury to workers, 1995/96 – 2014/15